Wednesday, October 14, 2009

BLOGGER'S QUILT FESTIVAL ENTRY

I'd like to share this quilt, Flower Garden, my youngest daughter and I worked on during the summer of 2008. If you remember, this was the year nice reds were hard to come by.... We're always looking for a new creative project to fill the summer days. She came to me wanting to learn to quilt and wanting to make a twin sized quilt to take back to her dorm room. As an art major, this is what she came up with. Though I quilt regularly, she hadn't made a quilt in 10 years.... Not sure if she remembered what all went into making a quilt....... I cut most of the pieces, rotator cutters are far too *dangerous* for college kids, she did the layout and then machine pieced it. Then it was my turn to teach her to hand quilt. Let's just say she prefers to create and to use a sewing machine vs. nursing bloody fingers. Personally, I thought it would be a great hand quilting learning experience, mostly nice straight lines, lots of practice.... But she *did* want to take it to school in a month. Soooo, I hand quilted it on the diagonal about every inch and a half. The flowers were quilted in a spiral from the center outward. It turned out beautiful, but it was most fun to spend so many hours sprawled out on the sewing room floor with one of my favorite girls!

(And yes, I created a blog *just* so that I could join in on the fun!!!)

17 comments:

  1. That is so sweet that you to got to work on a quilt together! I love the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to "bloggy" world :) Love the quilt reminds me of a rose garden.
    We used to live in Grandville so spent a goodly amount of time in Grand Rapids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that's a heirloom! The time spent is probably as precious to your daughter as the quilt! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The quilt is wonderful the time spent with a daughter planting the seed of quilting Priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, I love the bright pink and greens!! Precious time with your daughter!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. jolies couleurs et jolie histoire pour cet ouvrage réalisé à 4 mains j'espere que vous y avez pris beaucoup de plaisir toute les 2 cordialement

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very beautiful and what kind of witty one the quilt!!! .Marika

    ReplyDelete
  8. so cheerful! what a great project for the two of you to do together

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful quilt and pattern, What a great experience with your daughter

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome to the land of blog. I think that is wonderful that you and your daughter made that lovely quilt together. I love the colors. Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welcome to the blog world! I love your quilt. It reminds me of hollyhocks. Thanks for visiting my blog. And I do enjoy being a dinosaur and hand quilting. I just look at all these inspiring quilts and think of how much faster I could get them done so I could get MORE quilts made if I machine quilted! Not a patient person :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I saw your photo and I love what you and your daughter created. The blossoms are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  13. that is beautiful! I love the colors and the pattern! Can't wait til my baby can sew :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful story and quilt. You two look so proud in the picture. My daughter has no interest in sewing but she loves that I sew....for her!;)
    Congrats also on the new blog...I'm sure you'll have fun with it....I have dial up so I'm hemming and hawing about starting one myself!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful quilt - stunning colours.

    ReplyDelete